Get a Library Card
Want to apply to get a library card at the Malden Public Library? Great! It’s easy to do and very rewarding plus its FREE (if you’re a Massachusetts Resident). Just follow the registrations steps below to apply to get your new library card. Please remember that Library Card Registration ends 30 min before closing time. Currently at this time the Malden Public Library only offers in-person registration.
What you will need to register for a Library Card
- A library card application (available at the Circulation Desk)
- A Current and valid ID with photo, name and local address (see acceptable forms of ID below)
The Malden Public Library currently accepts the following forms of ID for Library Registration:
- MA Driver’s License/Learner’s Permit
- MA State ID
- Current school year report card/schedule
- Check Book
- Telephone Bill
- Gas Bill
- Electric Bill
- Bank Statement
- or Post Office change of address notification (has to have first and last name)
- High School Picture ID ( young adults only)
Additional Library Card Holder Privileges: Malden Public Library cards entitle borrowers to take out materials from libraries in Boston, Chelsea and Malden (the Metro Boston Library Network). Materials not currently available in Malden may be requested from MBLN libraries and other network libraries.
Lost Library Card: A lost library card may be replaced upon presentation of a valid ID and a replacement fee of $2.00 per adult card/young adult card and $1.00 per child’s card.
|New books||*||21 days|
|Books on CD||6||21 days|
|CDs (music)||10||21 days|
|Language Tape Sets||2||21 days|
|Books on 1 Subject||**||21 days|
|Juvenile Books on 1 Subject||**||21 days|
|Museum Passes†||1||1 day/week/family|
*No limit, **No limit, except high-demand materials, †Malden Residents only
Books, magazines, and audio-visual material may be returned to any Metro Boston Library Network member library (Boston, Chelsea, and Malden). Only books, magazines, and museum passes may be returned in the Book Return. Borrowers will be charged for damage to any materials left in the Book Return. Audiovisual items may be returned in the Audiovisual Return Bin.
Museum passes must be returned to the Malden Public Library and may be returned in the Book Return. If the library is open, please return adult passes to the Information Desk and children’s passes to the Children’s Room.
Videocassettes, VCDs, DVDs, cassettes, books on tape/CD, music CDs, CD-ROMs, books with CD-ROM/DVD, and mixed media bags borrowed from the Malden Public Library must be returned in the Audiovisual Return bin. Do not deposit these items into the Book Return. Any audiovisual item deposited in the Book Return will incur a $5 fine.
Overdue Fines & Fees
Maximum: $5.00 per item.
Maximum: $5.00 per item.
Maximum: $25.00 per pass.
Maximum: $3.00 per item.
As a courtesy, notices are sent as a reminder to return overdue Library items. Patrons are responsible for returning items on time even if they do not receive an overdue notice. Patron borrowing and Internet privileges are suspended when outstanding charges reach $10.00 or more, or when an account is 30 days past due.
To help you save time, most of what you borrow at Malden Public Library will automatically renew up to 5 times. Exceptions include:
- E-books, streaming and downloadable media
- Museum passes and materials that may be subject to shorter loan periods
- Items borrowed from Roxbury Community College
- Items obtained from a library outside of MPL’s lending network or through interlibrary loan
- Overdue items
- Items with holds from other users
- User accounts with fines/fees accrued to $10 or more and/or any other blocks
Automatic renewal is determined by item type, therefore it is not possible to turn automatic renewals off for an individual patron. By default, eligible items are renewed three days before their due date and are due again one full loan period after that original due date. Renewal notices will be delivered to patrons with an email number on file. Almost overdue reminders for items that cannot be automatically renewed and automatic renewal notices have been combined into one notice.
When Automatic Renewals is not applicable, you may be able to renew in person,
by phone, or online:
- In Person: Renewals can be done at the Circulation Desk at the Malden Public Library. You’ll need your library card but not the item being renewed
- By Phone: Call the Automated Telephone Circulation System (TeleCirc) at 617-859-5908. Please have your library card and PIN on hand. This option is available 24/7. If you’d like to renew via telephone during our business hours, you can call 781-324-0218; please have your library card number on hand.
- Online: Log on to the online catalog. Please have your library card and PIN number on hand.
PIN numbers are available at the information and circulation desks or by calling the library at 781-324-0218.
If we do not own a specific item you are looking for or our copy is checked out, we may still be able to get it for you.
Using your library card and pin number, you can order many items from other libraries in the Metro-Boston Library Network. Just search for the item you are looking for, click on HOLD THIS FOR ME, enter your information and select Malden Public Library as your pickup destination. This is a FREE service!
If the item is not available through MBLN, come into the library or give us a call at (781) 324-0218. We may be able to locate these items through another network. It may take a little longer than ordering through Boston Public Library, but the cost is still FREE.
We can also locate magazine and journal articles for you in the same way. There is a small cost for photocopies, but we may also be able to e-mail you the article if we receive it electronically.